Stranded copper-clad steel (CCS) tracer wire. Install with underground plastic utility pipes, wires, and cables to ensure future location. Best choice for pipe bursting when a smaller pipe needs to be replaced with a larger pipe, or extreme horizontal directional drilling applications when there may be large boulders or concrete obstructions.
7 x 7 stranded CCS (3/16” outside diameter) hard drawn, high carbon steel with copper cladding insulated with a 50 mil, high-density, high molecular weight polyethylene (HDPE) insulation rated for direct burial use at 600 volts.
Features and Benefits
- 50 mil HDPE insulation
- 4,700 lb break load
- Strongest, most durable
- 1,000 lbs stronger than 3/16” stainless steel and equally flexible
- 3 times more conductive than stainless steel
- Copper-clad steel (CCS) wire combines the strength of hard drawn high-carbon steel with the conductivity and corrosion resistance of solid copper
- Bonded metals mean no separating, no corrosion, and no theft appeal
- More stable pricing than solid copper
- Provided exclusively by Copperhead Industries
- Rated for direct bury
- Color-coded to meet American Public Works (APWA) standards for utility identification
Part #: PBX-50*-**
7 x 7 Stranded CCS, 50 (insulation mil), * (indicates insulation color: Y=Yellow, B=Blue, G=Green, N=Orange, P=Purple, R=Red, BN=Brown, K=Black, W=White), ** (indicates spool size: 500, 1000 or 2500 foot lengths). Available in custom length spools.
Made In the USA
Copperhead® copper-clad steel tracer wire is 100% made in the USA.
Tracer wire for pipe bursting and extreme directional drilling shall be Copperhead® SoloShot™ Xtreme 7 x7 stranded CCS (3/16” outside diameter) hard drawn, high carbon conductor rated at 30 volts, insulated with 50 mil, high-density, high molecular weight polyethylene (HDPE) insulation rated for direct burial use at 600 volts. EHS-CCS conductor must be at 21% conductivity for locate purposes. Break load of 4700 lbs. HDPE insulation shall be RoHS compliant and utilize virgin grade material. Insulation color shall meet the APWA color code standard for identification of buried utilities. Manufacturers supplying copper-clad steel tracer wire must have available detailed performance data including 5 years of underground testing in terms of durability related to damage of protective insulation and effects of potential corrosion of the specific copper-clad steel used. Origin of copper-clad steel manufacturer is required and steel core must be manufactured in the United States. If manufacturer has not completed 5-year corrosion testing, a 5-year warranty must be provided. Tracer wire shall be Copperhead® SoloShot™ Xtreme-CCS HDPE 50 mil and made in the USA.
Physical, permanent markings: surface legend print on insulation to repeat at minimum interval of every two linear feet. Ink colors will include Black ink for Yellow, Blue, Red, Orange, Purple, Brown, White, and Green insulation, and White ink for Black insulation. COPPERHEAD * 7 x 7 STRANDED CCS * PIPE BURST AND EXTREME HORIZONTAL DIRECTIONAL DRILL TRACER WIRE * 50 MIL HDPE 600 VOLT * DIRECT BURIAL ONLY
Wound wire on a compact spool made of plastic or wood.
7 x 7 Stranded CCS Pipe Burst and Extreme Horizontal Directional Drill Tracer Wire
50 Mil HDPE 600 Volt
Direct Burial Only
This specification describes the properties of the conductor to be used in the fabrication of SoloShot Xtreme tracer wire
Copperhead® copper-clad steel wire as manufactured by Copperweld®. All single ends composed of a steel core with a uniform and continuous copper cladding thoroughly bonded to the steel throughout. Wire must conform to ASTM B1010 and ASTM B227.
- Cladding: The steel and copper interface must have a metallurgical bond achieved through a high heat and pressure bonding process. Established process for porosity-free material.
- Steel: Extra-high strength with 0.54 carbon or greater. Verified to meet required mechanical properties.
- Copper: UNS-C10200; OF Copper according to ASTM B-170 (latest revision). High conductivity, oxygen free copper to achieve optimal signal performance.
Surface Condition: Wire surface shall be free of any defects, including flakes, grooves, pits, and voids. Wire surface shall be smooth, bright and shiny, and free of excessive copper dust and residual drawing lubricants
Physical, Mechanical, and Electrical Properties: The wire shall conform to the properties listed in Table 1.
This specification describes the properties of the material to be used in the insulating of SoloShot Xtreme tracer wire.
Insulation is comprised of a co-polymer high molecular weight natural high density polyethylene (HDPE) designed specifically for high-speed copper wire insulating. It contains the required levels and types of primary antioxidant and metal deactivator additives to satisfy most Wire and Cable industry requirements. HDPE material will be produced with an excellent balance of surface smoothness, processing ease, tensile and elongation properties, abrasion toughness, environmental stress crack, thermal stress crack resistance, and electrical consistency. Insulation must conform to ASTM D1248.
Physical, Mechanical, and Electrical Properties: The wire shall conform to the properties listed in Table 2.
• Copperhead products are manufactured under a quality control system that ensures products are free of defects and meet performance requirements.
• Copperhead provides best-in-class customer service. We promise to put forth our best efforts for our customers and to treat everyone we encounter with courtesy and respect.