Copper-clad steel (CCS) tracer wire. Install with underground plastic utility pipes, wires, and cables to ensure future location. Good choice for light-duty open cut/trenching/plowing applications when ground above the utilities can be disturbed and there are no buildings, roadways, or other obstructions in the way.
#18 AWG (0.0403” diameter) fully annealed, low carbon 1010 grade steel, solid copper-clad steel conductor (CCS) rated at 30 volts, insulated with a 30 mil, high-density, high molecular weight polyethylene (HDPE) insulation rated for direct burial use at 30 volts
Features and Benefits
- 30 mil HDPE insulation
- 75 lb break load
- Same flexibility as solid copper with superior strength
- Low recoil
- 11% lighter than solid copper means reduced freight expenses
- Copper-clad steel (CCS) wire combines the strength of fully annealed low-carbon steel with the conductivity and corrosion resistance of solid copper
- Bonded metals mean no separating, no corrosion, and no theft appeal
- More stable pricing than solid copper
- Provided exclusively by Copperhead Industries
- Rated for direct bury
- Color-coded to meet American Public Works (APWA) standards for utility identification
Part #: 1830*-SF-**
18 (AWG), 30 (insulation mil), * (indicates insulation color: Y=Yellow, B=Blue, G=Green, N=Orange, P=Purple, R=Red, BN=Brown, K=Black, W=White), SF (SuperFlex), ** (indicates spool size: 500, 1000 or 2500 foot lengths)
Made In the USA
Copperhead® copper-clad steel tracer wire is 100% made in the USA.
Tracer wire shall be a #18 AWG (0.0403” diameter) fully annealed, low carbon 1010 grade steel, solid copper-clad steel (CCS) conductor rated at 30 volts, insulated with 30 mil, high-density, high molecular weight polyethylene (HDPE) insulation rated for direct burial use at 30 volts. CCS conductor must be at 21% conductivity for locating purposes. Break load of 75 lbs. HDPE insulation shall be RoHS compliant and utilize virgin grade material. Insulation color shall meet the APWA color code standard for identification of buried utilities. Manufacturers supplying copper-clad steel tracer wire must have available detailed performance data including 5 years of underground testing in terms of durability related to damage of protective insulation and effects of potential corrosion of the specific copper-clad steel used. Origin of copper-clad steel manufacturer is required and steel core must be manufactured in the United States. If manufacturer has not completed 5-year corrosion testing, a 5- year warranty must be provided. Tracer wire shall be Copperhead® SuperFlex CCS, HDPE 30 mil insulation and made in the USA.
Physical, permanent markings: surface legend print on insulation to repeat at minimum interval of every two linear feet. Ink colors will include Black ink for Yellow, Blue, Red, Orange, Purple, Brown, White, and Green insulation, and White ink for Black insulation. COPPERHEAD * 18 AWG-SOLID SUPERFLEX SF-CCS TRACER WIRE * 30 MIL HDPE
30 VOLT * DIRECT BURIAL ONLY
Wound wire on a compact spool made of plastic or wood.
18 AWG-Solid CCS Tracer Wire
30 Mil HDPE 30 Volt
Direct Burial Only
This specification describes the properties of the conductor to be used in the fabrication of SuperFlex tracer wire.
Copperhead® copper-clad steel wire as manufactured by Copperweld® is composed of a steel core with a uniform and continuous copper cladding thoroughly bonded to the steel throughout. Wire must conform to ASTM B1010 and ASTM B910 / B910M.
- Cladding: The steel and copper interface must have a metallurgical bond achieved through a high heat and pressure bonding process. Established process for porosity-free material.
- Steel: High strength with 0.10 carbon or greater. Verified to meet required mechanical properties.
- Copper: UNS-C10200; OF Copper according to ASTM B-170 (latest revision). High conductivity, oxygen free
copper to achieve optimal signal performance.
Surface Condition: Wire surface shall be free of any defects, including flakes, grooves, pits, and voids. Wire surface shall be smooth, bright and shiny, and free of excessive copper dust and residual drawing lubricants
Physical, Mechanical, and Electrical Properties: The wire shall conform to the properties listed in Table 1.
This specification describes the properties of the material to be used in the insulating of SuperFlex tracer wire.
Insulation is comprised of a co-polymer high molecular weight natural high density polyethylene (HDPE) designed specifically for high-speed copper wire insulating. It contains the required levels and types of primary antioxidant and metal deactivator additives to satisfy most Wire and Cable industry requirements. HDPE material will be produced with an excellent balance of surface smoothness, processing ease, tensile and elongation properties, abrasion toughness, environmental stress crack, thermal stress crack resistance, and electrical consistency. Insulation must conform to ASTM D1248.
Physical, Mechanical, and Electrical Properties: The wire shall conform to the properties listed in Table 2.
• Copperhead products are manufactured under a quality control system that ensures products are free of defects and meet performance requirements.
• Copperhead provides best-in-class customer service. We promise to put forth our best efforts for our customers and to treat everyone we encounter with courtesy and respect.
Download the product data sheet